Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Fairy Agee Loop - Texas


Today I visited the Anderson Ranch where my Grandfather was born and later that afternoon parked at the Fairy Cemetery just north of the ranch and where my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother are buried. I then on my trusty Sturmey Archer 3 speed cycled a nice loop ride around the area, circling the ranch and enjoying the wonderful fall day in Texas. I wish I had more time and could have cycled for miles as the weather and terrain were excellent.

Fairy is approximately 10 miles south of Hico which still actually has a few folks living in it. The area surrounding Fairly likely has a lot less people living there than 112 years ago when Grandpa was born. And Agee is no longer marked.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=31.81126&lon=-97.97315&size=m&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

Click on the above link to see the topo map of the area and the red X is on the location of the house.

I recall seeing somewhere the ranch was established in 1893 so I'm guessing the house is now 113 years old. Located nearby was the abandoned house of my Great Aunt Bertha and if you look closely you can see the footprints and handprint of a child in the concrete to the front step. They likely belonged to some long lost relative....

When I was cycling south of the house on a dirt road, the area was so deserted and quiet that I could almost imagine how things were 100 years ago. It was one of those magical moments in which a mild temperature, a gentle breeze and the total absence of any other people allows you to almost feel the desolation of how the area must have felt back then.


All in all a wonderful subtle adventure….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home